11 March 2011

Imprimis: Links and Tidbits, 11 March 2011

Just a short links round-up this week:
  • We'd like to give a shout-out to Alexi Sargent and the ShakesPEER Group, who will be presenting Macbeth next weekend in Ardmore, PA. If you're in the area, go give them your support -- Alexi is a veteran of our summer camps, and ShakesPEER is a not-for-profit student-run theatre group.
  • Tagging along from last week's controversy over Dame Helen Mirren's statement about not reading Shakespeare in classrooms, this op-ed takes her side in the debate.
  • Globe Education has a new home -- congratulations to our brethren on the other side of the Pond! The facilities look amazing.
  • An interesting article on how studying the humanities can help the homeless and disadvantaged: one 60-year-old student, clean and sober for a year after a lifetime of addiction, says the class contributed to his improvement because "I can sit in my apartment right down the street from here, for the first time in my life I can sit there by myself and read, and not feel like I'm alone." Another student says ""This is a way for me to stay clean. This is a way for me to change my life, and the trap that I was caught in."
That's it for this week -- We hope you're enjoying our March Madness, and we'll see you next week for the Round of 16!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for the shout-out! The production is looking very good, and I'm excited for opening night. If you'll permit me to brag for a second, I'm most proud of what a simultaneously gorgeous and frightening setting we've created for the show.

    ReplyDelete